So, I was out of town last year at Halloween; no clue where I was the year before... but somehow I missed the memo that my neighborhood takes Halloween quite seriously. I figured I'd just turn off the porch light (or not turn it on) and no one would bother me... So I'm finishing my workout and stretching (about 6 pm) and there are people knocking on my door. Seriously? It wasn't even dark enough to turn an outside light on! So, luckily I had some random candy still left from when the neighbors "boo-ed" me.... maybe that should've been a hint about the seriousness of Halloween... regardless, I was able to give the 2 Spider-men a few pieces of candy. Then I had to go into hiding. Luckily, the rest of the kids did heed the no-porch-light rule, but by stealing glaces through shut blinds, I realized I was not a good neighbor. All of the neighbors set up tables and chairs in their driveways and sit and wait for the kids to come to them.... which, by the way, does irk me a bit.... I mean, seriously how much lazier can we make the kids? At least make the sons of guns walk all the way to the front door!!! Anyway, there they all were sitting with their candy pots waiting for the kids. And I don't know if the kids in the neighborhood invited friends over or what, but we apparently have a lot of kids who do not get outside to play enough. (Not that they were fat, I've just never seen them before!)
Perhaps what made me sort of feel guilty last night was that other than the lack of doorbell ringing, everyone getting candy was a child, dressed in a cute outfit. I think in years past, I've been annoyed by Halloween and the 15 year olds not even in costume just looking for free handouts. But my little innocent neighborhood was doing it the semi-old fashioned way. Kind of refreshing. :) Although it did take all I had to not run outside and ask the 3 teenage girls who were "Playboy Bunnies" if they realized that the bunnies had a very strict appearance code and they clearly did not meet it.....not to mention the fact that they legitimately looked like cheap hookers and they were walking around a neighborhood with nothing but young kids trick or treating.... I'm all for cheap hooker Halloween, but not when you are not legal nor when you aren't at a party!
Anyway, I promise to be good next year.
Today I'm trying (again) to turn over a new leaf at work and brush off what I believe to be injustices and just breathe deeply and not let anyone affect how I am feeling. I should not be punished for having ambition but if that is a threat to some, I cannot control that, nor will I let it deter me. :) And that's that.
Today's outfit is comfy chic. (again, in my humble opinion)
Dress: Willi Smith, TJ Maxx, Clearance, $15
Cardigan: St. John's Bay, JC Penny, Clearance, $9
Scarf: World Market, $10 Yes, the wine and home store! They have great jewelry and accessories-check it out!
Shoes: Steven, Steve Madden
Earrings: Forever 21, $4
Watch: MK
Bracelet: Can't remember
2 comments:
Looking good, my daughter! Sounds like your neighborhood is rom a different era; good for them! Unfortunately McCormick St. made you cynical as it has me! Nest year buy it and they will come....to your door. Great attitude for your work days. Don't let other people's idiocy control how you feel. If you do,they win. Love you much! Mommy Anonymous
uhhhhh, that should be "next year", not "nest year"...geez.....
Post a Comment